In an old 'About Ashley' from 1994, the Crown was featured on the front cover and in an article by Clive Moffat about its ownership.
The earliest record was from 1712 when it was owned by James Langley but parts of the building at the time pre-date 1700.
In 1732 the property passed into the hands of the Mead family until 1809 when it passed to the husband of Alice Mead - a Mr Casburn. The same year it passed to a Mr Buck who kept it until 1827 when the land lord became a Mr Tryveill Moody of Newmarket. Mr Moody sold it in 1865 to Mr Samuel Turner who then let it to John Last for £15 per annum. In 1866 it was put to auction and bought by Joseph Brown.
At this time the main building was the same, but it had a newly erected brick, stone and tile built carriage house, a loose box, stabling for six horses, a small barn, a cart lodge and a range of piggeries plus a small yard. It was then sold in 1868 for £750 to Samuel Turner who in turn sold it to Greene King in 1890.
Greene King sold the pub in Jan 2014.